Whanganui District Council is currently consulting on its Proposed Gambling Venues Policy.
The Gambling Venues Policy aims to control the growth of gambling and minimise harm caused by gambling. We want to ensure the community is involved in decisions about the provision of gambling in the Whanganui District.
Whanganui District Council’s policy aims to minimise gambling harm by
- retaining a ‘sinking lid’ on class 4 venues and class 4 gaming machines (pokies)
- allowing only one standalone TAB venue in our district at any time
- permitting clubs to merge gambling licences on condition that the total number of gaming machines is reduced (‘sinking lid’ approach)
- setting out conditions for any relocation of existing class 4 venues. We would like your views on two options:
- Option A: Class 4 venues can relocate under certain circumstances, providing location conditions are met
- Option B: No class 4 venues will be permitted to relocate
Head over to Council’s Have your Say page for more information and complete the online submission form. You can also email your thoughts to firstname.lastname@example.org
Submissions close at 4.00pm, Monday 30 October 2017